Staff Officer - Technical Services
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you an experienced leader, familiar with the ICT systems that HM Coastguard use?
Would you like a role where you can use your expertise to influence the direction of HM Coastguard and the relationship with other emergency services?
Do you want to join an engaging and supportive team, where there is never a dull moment?
Does your job matter? Job description
Here at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency we have a fantastic opportunity for a Staff Officer – Technical Services, to come and join our team. You will be responsible for the delivery and quality of Coastguard technical systems. Providing recommendations, guidance and advice, whilst leading the development of user requirements for future technical systems.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Supervise and monitor the operational use of current and future Coastguard technical systems
• Apply specialist knowledge and provide expert advice in support of the execution of the Coastguard missions and assist MCA Technical Services and other MCA branches.
• Act as senior user and business change manager during implementation of Coastguard technical systems functional system projects.
• Maintain a detailed operational understanding of international and national resolutions, directives, legislation to ensure the UK meets its obligation.
• Represent the UK as a subject matter expert in working groups and in support at high level meetings.
• Maintaining a high level of operational currency in the delivery of the key Coastguard missions.
• Make recommendations on technical and procedural developments and enhancements and represent the MCA at working and user groups.
• Apply expertise and technical knowledge to review operational activity.
• Pro-actively scan emerging technologies
• Develop, adopt and amend operational procedures and processes
• Liaise with internal stakeholders and provide advice and technical input.
• Pro-actively engage with colleagues within ICT and Procurement.
• Assist with managing and monitoring the performance of operational systems against SLAs.
• Being the 'intelligent customer' connection between operational Coastguard (maritime, aviation and coastal) with MCA ICT and appropriate contractors.
• Provide advice to those producing business cases for technology related projects.
Coming to us with experience of working with ICT systems and a passion for continuous improvements, you pride yourself on your exceptional communication skills and the ability to form positive relationships with stakeholders. These relationships allow you to be the voice of HM coastguard and enable you to be heard and to positively influence decisions at senior levels on their behalf. Tech savvy you are always on the lookout for new technology and enjoy analysing and presenting your findings to your stakeholders, whilst selling the benefit.
You are a natural leader and do so by example, you are passionate and truly care about making a difference and want to find a role where you will meet likeminded people to make our coast and waters safer.
About Operational Delivery Profession (ODP)
Operational Delivery Profession (ODP) is the largest and most diverse professional community across the Civil Service. Many of us will have an association with several professional communities or specialisms, ODP applies to all public facing roles / or a role that is primarily aligned to supporting the work of those with public facing roles. All critical to the delivery of UK public services’.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- 3. Mission Conduct and Incident Command - All - Coastguard
- 4. Emergency Planning - All - Coastguard
- 5. Operational Communications - All - Coastguard
- COASTAL - 13 RESCUE - ALL - Coastguard
- COASTAL - 11a MANAGEMENT - TEAM - ALL - Coastguard
- COASTAL - 11b MANAGEMENT - EQUIPMENT - ALL - Coastguard
- Communication and Engagement - Operational Delivery
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
CV and Personal Statement
When preparing your CV and Personal Statement, please ensure to evidence the following:
- Your experience of working within HM Coastguard or an organisation that takes care of maritime operations
- Your understanding of the ICT systems used by HM Coastguard
- Your ability to engage with colleagues / stakeholders to successfully influence change
- Your experience of identifying ways to improve service by utilising technology
For this role we will assess your:
• Making Effective Decisions
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Managing a Quality Service
• Delivering at Pace
• Seeing the Big Picture
The sift is due to take place w/c 2nd July 2021
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held wc/12th July 2021
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates. The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview with one or more exercises
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email [email protected] for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: [email protected] If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission