Chief Financial Officer, Solar Development Business
This is a great opportunity to join the Development, Construction and Asset Management Business of the Green Investment Group as Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) to help support the transition to a low carbon, sustainable global economy. The DCA team has a large development pipeline and will continue to expand into other European markets. Activity levels in the business are expected to increase significantly in the near term as many of these development projects conclude the development process and move into construction and operations.
Based in our London or Edinburgh office and reporting directly to the CEO of the Development, Construction and Asset Management team, your responsibility as CFO will include the delivery of robust financial systems, reporting and processes and delivering on the business strategy as the business looks to move to the next phase of growth and become a market leader in Europe. You will be a key member of the senior management team supporting the CEO to drive the business forward with responsibility for the financial management of our solar and other onshore renewable development investments. The role will involve strategic financial planning and delivering on the financial objectives of the business which includes the commercialisation of a large portfolio of projects in collaboration with the wider Green Investment Group.
You will work closely with Green Investment Group’s development partners on the development of renewable energy projects and will ensure that the Green Investment Group’s standards of financial control and financial reporting are incorporated into all projects.
In this role you will lead a team of approximately 10 staff initially.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- creating and leading a high performing Finance function to support a fast-moving business
- creating and implementing effective controls, policies and processes which underpin the financial management framework of the business to meet local, business and group reporting requirements and accounting standards
- creating and delivering robust, timely financial reporting across the business and building sound financial structures and reporting capabilities
- managing statutory financial reporting obligations (annual returns) in all markets
- providing financial oversight of the business strategy including capital management and funding and presentation of accounts to the board of directors and other stakeholders
- financial planning including budgeting, forecasting and cashflows for the business and the underlying projects
- financial oversight of all platforms, projects and partners across multiple jurisdictions including projects in development, construction and operation and financial input into new deals
- managing accounting software platforms used by the business
- administration, development and management of corporate structure across all jurisdictions where business operates
- supporting the deal teams during project divestments
- identifying and management of all financial risks associated with the business
- quantification of the impact of new accounting standards and implementation of changes
- managing the relationship with external advisors including external audit and tax to ensure compliance with all relevant tax legislation at a local and group level. This will include integrating project level tax planning into overall corporate tax structure
- proactively contributing commercially and strategically to the development of the business.
To be successful, you will have experience in creating and leading the finance function in a fast-moving business together with a strong financial management and reporting background. You need to have had exposure to hedge accounting, capital and funding. You will also have:
- CA qualification with 10+ years industry experience
- proven capability of building and leading effective teams
- relevant renewables market experience, with solar/renewable development being of particular relevance
- experience with project finance structures for renewable energy projects and coordinating with project finance lenders
- strong and current technical accounting knowledge
- experience of setting up new businesses, systems and procedures across multiple jurisdictions
- strong track record managing relationships with shareholders and senior business stakeholders
- experience with renewable energy project finance transactions including coordination with lenders, would also be desirable
- strong commercial flair and mindset in order to contribute to the development of the business
- experience with identifying and tracking risks.
About Macquarie Capital
Macquarie Capital offers global capability in M&A Advisory, Debt and Equity Capital Markets, Principal Finance, and Equity Trading and Research underpinned by deep specialist expertise across a range of sectors. Our people are empowered to think innovatively to address client challenges and originate opportunities, thinking beyond individual transactions to become a trusted adviser and partner over the long haul. From origination to execution, our unique combination of ideas, capital and expertise is transforming opportunity into reality for our clients and partners around the world.
With staff in 35 offices transacting across 31 countries, Macquarie Capital is a truly global business. A role in the team will expose you to a dynamic working environment and the opportunity to contribute to high-profile transactions whilst working in a business with the best people in the industry.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Macquarie understands the importance of diversity and inclusion - our long history of success has come from being different. At Macquarie we value the innovation and creativity that diversity of thought brings. The one thing we all have in common is our focus on high performance. If you're capable, motivated and can deliver, we want you on our team.
Macquarie is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including colour and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
We recognise that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Talk to us about what flexibility you need.