Division Director, Financial Control EMEA
Following a sustained period of growth across all businesses with Macquarie EMEA now contributing one third of the Macquarie Group revenue, we have an excellent opportunity for a finance professional to join Macquarie's Financial Management Group as a Division Director, reporting to the EMEA CFO in London and globally to the Head of Financial Control.
To be successful in this role, you will have experience leading a global or regional finance and accounting team, having successfully led on-shore / off-shore distributed teams and partnered with businesses in an advisory capacity to support commercial objectives. In this role, you will have three core responsibilities: to lead the Financial Control team responsible for the Macquarie Capital business in EMEA; to lead Corporate Financial Control within EMEA; and to act as the global Accounting Policy and Advisory Group (APAG) representative for EMEA finance.
Financial Control has a significant presence and role within the organisation. There is a close working relationship with the business lines (Commodities and Global Markets, Macquarie Asset Management and Macquarie Capital within EMEA) and all other areas of the firm focusing on effective control, transaction accounting, client service and internal / external reporting. Financial Control is a central owner and point of contact for many issues that affect Finance and the business including new product approvals, technical accounting, accurate maintenance of the ledgers and balance sheets across the group and its legal entities. The Financial Control function is critical to the firm’s operations via control of financial risk and meeting its internal and external reporting obligations.
The goal of Financial Control within Macquarie is to provide effective and efficient control that supports the success of Macquarie by delivering a complete and accurate entity level general ledger, through globally consistent processes with a focus on preventative as well as detective controls, with clear accountability for deliverables. Financial Control are also experts in delivering financial and accounting insights on transactions (including optimal booking solutions) as well as leveraging and improving systems and processes through an active understanding of the transaction lifecycle and associated controls.
In this role, you will be accountable to the EMEA CFO and the Global Head of Financial Control, with specific responsibility for the EMEA leadership of the Macquarie Capital and the Corporate Financial Control function. You will also act as the APAG representative for EMEA.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- leading the Financial Control team responsible for the Macquarie Capital business in EMEA. Macquarie Capital combines specialist expertise, innovative advisory capabilities, and a full spectrum of capital solutions (debt, equity, private capital raising and financing) to clients across a range of sectors. Macquarie Capital invest Macquarie’s own capital to enable new opportunities through the development and construction of infrastructure and energy projects. In Europe in particular, there is a focus on renewable energy projects and the supply of green energy solutions to corporate clients. Key responsibilities in Macquarie Capital Financial Control:
- partner with the Macquarie Capital business, including the Chief Financial Officer, in a transaction advisory capacity: assessing investment opportunities, asset sales and restructurings all with a lens of commercial rationale and return profiles, culminating in recommendations for approvals of transactions
- in performing a commercial analysis, also co-ordinating and delivering a complete impact assessment across the financial control environment
- responsible for ensuring the control environment is operating effectively throughout the transaction lifecycle including balance sheet substantiation, valuation, accounting judgements, Group and subsidiary reporting requirements and driving the solution of related complex issues in partnership with the business.
- lead Corporate Financial Control within EMEA:
- as the regional lead for Corporate financial control working closely with the global Corporate Financial Control team - responsible for ensuring the control environment is operating effectively across treasury transactions, hedge accounting, IFRS 9 provisioning processes and various cross border arrangements.
- act as the APAG representative for EMEA finance:
- Collaborate with the Group’s APAG team to drive a consistent, efficient, technically compliant approach to financial accounting and accounting advice for all EMEA business lines (Macquarie Capital, Macquarie Asset Management and Commodities & Global Markets)
- develop and maintain relationships with peers in other similar financial services groups (including through engagement via accounting industry forums) and with accounting standard setting bodies.
- other responsibilities will include:
- Engagement with auditors
- Team leadership: resourcing, talent growth, retention, and management
- Championing flexibility and leading by example
- Encouraging an inclusive environment with a key focus on building diversity within the team and providing a rewarding work environment through targeted training and career paths that develop the individual’s and team’s expertise.
You will be an experienced finance professional having experience of significant business partnership and influence, achieving commercial outcomes on various transactions and structures. Also, you will have experience managing teams with extensive exposure to technical financial accounting, financial products, legal entity structuring, control, and related financial statement reporting.
You have the ability to act as a role model to influence the behaviour of the wider high performing teams and provide direction to people, projects and/or processes and create opportunities for others to develop and extend their skills and experience.
You will have excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to form strong relationships with the business and internal stakeholder groups.
You will also have:
- a university Degree or master’s degree in any discipline but with major in accounting / finance – preferred professional accountancy qualification CA / ACCA / CFA
- experience with technical Financial Control, Product accounting / Legal Entity Control / Group Financial Control & Reporting / Management reporting
- exposure to IFRS is expected
- high quality communication in all forms
- strong business influence
- experience of working in an International environment will be an added advantage.
If this sounds like your next role, then please apply now.
About the Financial Management Group
The Financial Management Group provides financial, tax and treasury services to all areas of Macquarie. The group is focused on providing strategic analysis and advice to Macquarie's businesses and senior management, managing Macquarie's funding, liquidity and capital position, ensuring Macquarie continues to meet regulatory and compliance obligations and managing Macquarie's corporate affairs.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Macquarie understands the importance of diversity and inclusion - our long history of success has come from being different. At Macquarie we value the innovation and creativity that diversity of thought brings. The one thing we all have in common is our focus on high performance. If you're capable, motivated and can deliver, we want you on our team.
Macquarie is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including colour and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
We recognise that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Talk to us about what flexibility you need.