Network Playout Senior Manager - Flexible Working Available
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of superfans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains.
Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages.
Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
The Maximus project has delivered the new London Technology Hub (LTH), integrating critical transmission operations from several existing diverse European locations consisting of up to 60 employees operating 24/7/365 (including daily freelancers). The LTH will reduce cost and amplify efficiency via the centralisation of the playout previously undertaken in these diverse facilities, together with operational resiliency that will come online with the ETT Project in the future.
Reports directly to the Senior Director, Network Playout Ops and acts as the key point of liaison for project managing the planning and execution of all Discovery broadcasts based in the London Technology Hub. This includes Eurosport channels, Discovery brands and various free-to-air networks. Interfacing to LTH production workstreams and 3rd party partners such as studios is crucial as is the coordination with other ETT sites across Europe.
The role is responsible for coordinating the GT&O teams’ efforts and delivering appropriate communication in all cases and with partnering teams within the wider Business. A key requirement is to ensure there are correct resources assigned across all GT&O departments to all live & non-live events. The role will additionally be responsible for devising and implementing best practice for non-live, live and as-live events, ensuring full and thorough communication throughout and that each event meets business expectation.
The Senior Manager is responsible for coordinating with internal network partners, external vendor partners and various business units within GT&O in the project management, planning and execution of non-live, live, as-live, ranging from ad-hoc events to ongoing regular broadcasts. The role is the main point of contact (POC) in the planning stages and during live broadcasting for Production Teams, Studios, Clients and GT&O (Global Technology & Operations). During live events the role will be responsible for providing information and guidance, operational decision making (working with key partners), implementing emergency protocols and providing updates to all key stakeholders.
The Senior Manager will have an in-depth working knowledge of all the relevant elements to produce live and non-live output but will have designated partners to work with from each area who will take responsibility for that element, with this role having final call on strategy or last-minute changes to elements to be utilised in Live.
The role will be expected to ensure scheduling and production teams have appropriate live training and standard operating procedures are devised and maintained as well as supporting scheduling and production in driving efficiencies via systems and workflow projects and developments within Broadcast Schedule Operations.
There is a requirement for working off-site as required and flexibility to cover a five-day week that includes weekends and non-standard working hours.
- Oversee all operational planning preparation for Live events, bringing GT&O to a position to meet Live and As-Live requirements
- To act as a central point of co-ordination for GT&O across all Discovery broadcasts from the London Technology Hub, inclusive of Eurosport and various free-to-air channels).
- Create, maintain and communicate all Live documentation for each event, insuring coordination between TX operators, On-air-producers
- Liaise appropriately with relevant business units in the project management, planning and seamless execution of broadcasts, be they live, as-live, or pre-recorded.
- Ensure Compliance during all broadcasts with relevant regulatory body
- As required, book recording of live events, liaising with duplication, Media Services, Post Production and VOD teams
- Ensure scheduling and production contribute effectively and appropriately to the requirement to deliver 100% schedule accuracy across live events
- In conjunction with scheduling and production managers create and lead relevant working groups to support live event scheduling requirements.
- To be present (where possible) and ensure smooth playout at key live events such as Olympics, tennis, cycling and other high-profile events.
- Creation, maintenance and communication of scheduling and production Live Standard Operating Procedures including devising new checklists for live events.
- Liaising with key stakeholders to ensure emergency protocol is prepared for individual live broadcasts, contingency plans are in place and all relevant back up materials clearly communicated and available to TX.
- Remaining abreast of internal technical developments and provide testing procedures and coordinating scheduler groups as required for Live.
- Liaising with all relevant teams to fully understand the requirements to support live events. Organising and leading meetings internally and with regional clients as required.
- Ensuring systems (e.g. iTX, Aveco, IBMS, WON) are evaluated and development requirements escalated
- Supplying business with post live summary reports including any amendments to intended schedule.
- Supporting scheduling and production in driving efficiency via system and workflow projects and developments
- Ensure delivery of real time and meaningful data including service reporting, operational updates, planned maintenance and risk analysis
- Ensuring post TX reconciled reports for Live (as runs) and updating IBMS.
- Be flexible to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Act as key escalation point to senior team
- Lead, manage and motivate teams through continuous feedback and review discussions acting as coach and mentor to direct reports. Act in a timely manner to any performance issues to improve and manage through to a successful outcome.
- Extensive experience working in a complex live broadcast environment is essential.
- High levels of initiative, motivation, and effective time-management skills.
- In-depth level of understanding of all component elements involved in Live Transmission including IBMS
- Demonstrable Project Management skills
- Proven leadership skills in managing teams effectively to achieve results
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, team player, adaptable and with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- High level of organisational skills and attention to detail with the ability to create ‘own’ agenda to ensure successful delivery.
- Ability to work well under pressure and drive decision making